Copyright Free Images
Data and Statistics
- CDC FastStats - Provides quick access to statistics on topics of public health importance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- CIA World Factbook - Information on the history, people, government, economics, etc. for countries all over the world.
- Data.Gov - Open United States government data
- Data USA - A free platform that allows users to collect and analyze shared US data.
- Gapminder - A collection of world maps, based on current world data, where countries are re-sized on each map according to the subject of interest.
- If It Were My Home - Compare living conditions between countries
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Data about various mental and substance use disorders
- United States Census Bureau - Provides basic demographic data
- USAFacts - Non-partisan, not-for-profit organization that uses publicly available data to create a portrait of America (population, government's finances, government's impact on society).
- World Health Organization Global Health Observatory Data Repository - Provides statistics on an array of health-related topics for countries around the world
- Worldmapper - A collection of world maps where territories are re-sized on each map according to the subject of interest.
Fact Checker Sites
- Fact Check - Monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players.
- Snopes - One of the first fact-checking websites; provides fact-checking and analysis.
- Hoax Slayer - This site focuses on email hoaxes and social media hoaxes.
- Open Secrets - Focus is on political spending.
- Politifact - Rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others who speak up in American politics.
- Poynter - Not a true fact checking site but produces credible and evidence based content.
Primary Sources and Historical Research
- Library of Congress - Largest library in the world; historical and promary source documents including books, photographs, recordings, maps, newspapers
- National Archives - U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); iinformation on history, genealogy, and the U.S. population and government.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture - Documentation of African American life, history, and culture.
Smithsonian's History Explorer - Primary sources and artifacts.
Trustworthy News and Information Sources
- Thornton Library Databases
- The Learning Network - New York Times blog (free)
- Tween Tribune - News for teens and is curated by the Smithsonian (free)
- Newsela - Current event articles are free (create a free account through Google)
- Science News for Students - Articles on science, health and technology topics. (free)
- CNN 10 - A 10-minute daily news video (free)
- Google News - A great place to find current events.
- PBS Newshour Extra - Current news for students.
- YourCommonwealth - Offers a variety of news and opinion stories on global issues.